Fat Loss Calories – The Calculation
The foundation for success with fat and weight loss is a calorie calculation. You need to calculate calories consumed versus calories burned since they are the source of fuel for our bodies. Everything that our bodies do, from breathing to our workouts, consumes calories for energy. When you consume fewer calories than you burn each day, you are forcing the body to tap into it’s excess fat stores for energy.
If you keep the body in the constant calorie deficit state, it will continue burning the fat stored for energy and you will see fat loss. This should be done at a steady pace of 1 to 2 pounds per week. If done too rapidly, it can cause your body to waste away lean muscle tissue instead. Muscle naturally burns more calories than fat even in a resting state, so you do not want to lose it. Dropping your calorie intake too low can also cause your metabolism to slow down instead.
Here are a few suggestions for healthy ways of reaching your fat and weight loss goal.
1. Breakfast is an important meal, don’t skip it. This will increase your metabolism and start your day off providing your body with renewed energy. Metabolism is naturally higher in the morning, so you will be more likely to burn the calories quickly while maintaining your energy level during the day. This will help to reduce intense cravings for un-healthy foods when lunch time rolls around and your stomach is growling.
2. Keep a food log – most people when “guessing” their calorie intake, do not realize how many they have consumed. You need to understand what habits are contributing to the lack of success with weight loss. Tracking it also helps you to understand how many calories you are really taking in and any trends in eating, like being bored, or nervous.
Once you have facts and understand them, you can work on correcting them and achieve success. The same is true with an exercise log and the amount of calories burned throughout the day, track them.
3. Planning is key – Plan healthy, low fat foods that you enjoy. I plan my daily food intake while I am having my morning coffee. When you have a plan and are prepared, your chances for success are much higher. Take a low fat snack with you on errands so if you start feeling hungry it is available, and you reduce the chances of sabotaging your diet by grabbing a quick, high fat snack instead.
4. Stick to a regular workout routine that includes both cardio and weight training. There are many different types of workouts you can do, find the ones you like and maintain a regular workout schedule. Find a workout buddy or trainer if you need a push. There are also many good video programs on the market today.
5. Don’t let the scale discourage you, take body measurements of your arms, legs, hips, etc. Muscle weighs more than fat, so don’t use the scale as your sole weight or fat loss measurement. Only weigh in once a week and use other types of measurement as well.
You need to consume about 15-20% fewer calories than your maintenance level, or the number of calories that you need to consume each day to maintain your current weight. There are some great videos on YouTube that explain how to do this calculation called the Harris-Benedict formula, it isn’t difficult. Do the calculation and find out what your calorie target achieve fat and weight loss success. Live and maintain a happy and healthy life style!